Thursday, December 20, 2012

Garden History online

I wish I could say that I have many posts ready for your reading pleasure. The truth is that for the last while it has been difficult to get the ideas and information down on paper. Do not count me out - the blog continues and the posts will resume.

In the meantime, I stumbled upon an online course on the history of the ornamental garden. It is taught by  England's garden historian and author Toby Musgrave. This online course starts in January and runs for 4 weeks. Part of the course is taught with video tutorials and the other part consists of downloadable notes.  A course this short will not be able to cover a lot but it will undoubtedly teach me many interesting things and will be a great refresher for my memory and who knows, maybe offer some inspiration.

It appears the garden history course is taught every month. However that is not all. There are many courses offered online at this site My Garden School from basic how to's to more advanced techniques of gardening. If you want to know how to grow plants on the vertical they offer that too.

Here's the link if you want a look: My Garden School.

So do keep in touch. You will not be disappointed.
Happy Holidays to all.

Patty

4 comments:

  1. You're back! You're back!! Woo-hoo!! The garden course sounds cool. I wish I had time to take it with you. Right now I'm ignoring the stack of projects/papers I promised myself I'd grade over break. I thought the world was going to end and that I wouldn't have to grade them! :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't you the sweetest thing CM! Since the world isn't ending we both have to get busy. Expect a post on an Indian Mughal queen in the near future. Cheers.

      Delete
  2. Have you read Virgins, Weeders and Queens by Twigs Way? It's a history of women and gardening.

    I have to say it was not a great book, not particularly well organized, but it does have a lot of references to women's roles and impacts in gardens (mainly British) throughout history that might give you some starting points for further research.

    That's really the author -- Twigs Way -- strange name for a garden book writer : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Laurie, I did not catch your comment until now. Yes I am familiar with the book as I own a copy myself. I probably own a fair number of books with a general outline of women of interest to me. Most of the books do happen to be British, and thus oriented to discussing British women. I have been taking the more difficult route by looking around the world for my subjects.

      Delete

My apologies, at this time comments are closed.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.